Tax Return service
Written by Ray Coman
Coman & Co prepare Tax Returns. We provide tax advice as well, but our work centres on preparing and filing documents for HMRC. The following page provides a list of our fixed prices. We take pride in doing a good job by listening to and responding to the needs of our customers.
Roughly 12 million people in the UK file a Tax Return. Each year, a person has the responsibility for finding out whether he or she has a requirement. Simply because HMRC have not sent someone a notice to file does not mean that person did not have to file. The preparation of a Tax Return is referred to as a self-assessment. It is up to the individual to submit a correct and complete that Return by the deadline. Late filing, late payment penalties and interest can apply. A higher penalty is issued for inaccuracies or omissions.
It is not necessary to use an accountant to file a Tax Return. People come to us either because it has got tricky and/or they do not have the time. They receive a reassurance that it will be professionally done. Nothing that is included on a Tax Return is beyond us. However, if is an existing or potential customer prefers to do it themselves, we can offer guidance. Regardless, we encourage people to create an HMRC personal tax account. This is done with a government gateway login and enrolling for self-assessment online. The account would allow a taxpayer to view a history of filings, payments and liabilities. For our clients, the personal tax account could be used as a confirmation of our advice.
It can get complicated and many people get an accountant to do theirs for them. It removes the hassle and time factor. It is the job of a tax adviser to identify legitimate methods for minimising tax, and so there is the reassurance that tax is as low as possible, and the negative outcome of any HMRC enquiry is minimised.
For a Tax return query, simple or complex, we can assist. As Chartered Tax Advisers we can:
- Apply experience gained over 10,000 Tax Returns and wide knowledge to minimise our client’s tax liability
- Prepare each Tax Return using high standard, up to date software
- Calculate the tax and let our client know what to pay and when
- Remind clients of when to file forms.
- Keep back-up copies of accounting records.
- Provide a secure document exchange for uploading files and approving the Tax Return online. Post is used only in cases where online methods are not possible.
- Review tax liability and filing history online and update the client on discrepancies.
- Act as tax agent, to deal directly with HMRC and resolve issues on behalf of the client.
- Respond to queries throughout the year.
- Advise on the best way to minimise form filling, including coming out of self-assessment.
As tax specialists, we can advise individuals and businesses on issues relating to capital gains and income from:
- Self-employment and partnerships
- Employment and company directorships
- Savings, dividends, pensions and investments
- Land and property rental
- Asset disposal
- Overseas activities
- Trusts and Estates
We have solid expertise in this area and can advise on what needs to be done and the ways in which we can help. Please contact us for a discussion.